Wednesday 27 February 2019

The Tamagotchi Incident


This selling stuff on eBay malarkey has not been without incident. Mostly I put stuff up there, it sells or it doesn't, and I hear no more about it. Now that I've learned to describe the flaws in the comics in detail in the listings (some early comics had loose pages, writing on etc, which I hadn't spotted, so now I go scrupulously through every page in every comic in every job lot, and it seems to do the trick).

Then I put a Tamagotchi, which Hev had got as a present 20 years ago, on eBay. Its unique selling point being that it's unopened, so still has the tab over the battery. It's never even been switched on. Surely that makes it all the more valuable. Well, someone called "mmbopresto" thinks so, and pays £21 for it.

The Original Listing:

Tamagotchi  Tamaotch, aka Tamagotch's. Pink with cherry blossoms pattern. Sealed - BANDAI 1998 rare Bought In Japan. Unopened (except to take these photos), the battery strip hasn't been removed (as you can see in the photos). Small mark on back cover from where a label has been removed (visible in photos).Slight daylight discolouration of Tamagotchi device itself (very slight yellowing, visible in photos).Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class.


Then a few few days later, this correspondence begins...
Hi I finally managed to get the screws out of the back of this which were completely jammed in, doesn't work , keeps resetting. very disappointed


Why did you need to take the screws out of the back?

KFS

because the battery were completely dead and it wasn't working

I'm sorry about that. It's a 20 year old unopened Tamagotchi, so I guess that was a possibility. 

I don't know what to say. Sorry again.

KFS

I understand that but please don't sell something if you unless u know that it's working, I have 22 other tamagotchi all from the 90s and they all work, a refund would be greatly appreciated before i leave feedback. I know it's not really your fault but it's not mine either.

The tab was in the battery, that was a unique selling point. It was unopened and untampered with.

If it's been unscrewed it's no longer the item I sold.

KFS

Ok . I will leave you bad feedback then
Please don't do that. I think we need to reach a settlement.

I sold the Tamagotchi as unopened, with tab in battery, and from 1998. So, with those details, there is no way the batteries could be tested. Would that be accurate?

KFS

PS: Forgive me if there's a delay in replying, I have an early start tomorrow so am turning in. Please don't leave negative feedback, I feel we can resolve this.

Hi,

Would you accept a partial refund, and you keep the opened Tamagotchi?

KFS

Dear scottishfalsetto,

Ok

- mmbopresto_0

Dear mmbopresto_0,

£5 refund? You now have the Tamagotchi to resell.

KFS

Dear scottishfalsetto,

I cant sell a broken tamagotchi , dont bother with the refund , id rather just leave bad feedback

- mmbopresto_0



How infuriating is this? He accepts a refund then goes back on his word. Then I go to eBay and find he's left the negative feedback anyway. He's had his partial refund, I'll look later to see if he's been good to his word and removed the feedback (my only negative feedback, might I add). Ooh, I'm seething.

Onwards and upwards.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...