Tuesday 26 April 2022

Teaching puppetry in Aberdeen

One of the less likely days spent recently was this Monday, the 25th, when I went all the way to Aberdeen to teach some kids how to do puppetry.

The librarians at Dyce Academy in Aberdeen had seen the Socks at the Edinburgh Fringe a few years ago, found us online, and thought it would be a good idea for me to teach a small group of kids how to do puppetry. It probably was, I have no way of measuring it. 

I can tell you it involved setting the alarm for 3.30, leaving the house at 4.30, flying at 7, driving for two and a half hours from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, the working with the kids for just two hours before doing he whole return journey again which, with delayed flight, saw me getting back home around midnight.

I gave the kids, 2nd year high school pupils, some of whom had a few educational needs, a 20 minute Socks show, then got them, in 5 groups of 4 or 5, to performe bits of The Sneetches by Dr Suess, which they'd chosen. I think it went well.

They are the only kids, or people of any sort, to have been allowed to perform behind my actual Socks set, see above. My thanks to the school for a learning experience for all involved.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...