Sunday 20 January 2019

The Motherlode - all my old diaries found


As the clearing out of Windmill Gardens continued this weekend, I uncovered in the furthest depths of Private (the storage space along the sides of the house that I christened thus as a kid) what can only be described as The Motherlode.

All of my comic art, drawn from age 4 to 18, with such comics as my Planet Of The Apes series, that ran to over 20 issues, and such long forgotten titles as Top, Showcase and Pop People. And most significantly of all - my diaries.

I had long thought these lost, in a loft clearance long ago, but here they are, an undreamt of find. From my very first diary in June 1974 through to volume 8, I have volumes 9 to 11 at home, and finally volume 12, the one where I ultimately got too busy with life to spend all day illustrating it.

The pages from these will find their way on the My 1970s Diary blog, but to celebrate the big find, here is my very first Picture Diary page. The plan was, as you can see, to do a comic strip of my life. Over on the other blog you'll see how those plans changed over the coming months.


As well as these treats, I've found comics that I thought were worth putting on eBay (at time of writing, a Planet Of The Apes No 1 and a Daredevil 181 have got no bids, so what do I know?) and heaps more that, I'm afraid, will be heading to the charity shop. I fear there's no market for every Buster comic from 1974.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...