Sunday 6 January 2019

Tributes to Mum



Mum's obituary has made the Harborough Mail, and apparently been seen in The Courier (though I can't find that online yet). I posted her obituary on the Facebook page Montrose Memories, provoking these responses

Moira Swailes I remember Corral. She was a couple of years ahead of me. But ran around with Helen Pert who lived next door to me. Helens Dad had the furniture store across from the Old church. Corral lived in one of the houses above the store I think. Donald Buick took over the store. He was Helens cousin. Donald was same year as me. We all went to the Little Academy in Montrose.

Christine Usher I remember the very unusual name. Almost sure she went to school with my sister Annabel

Helen Atkinson Corral was a member of the 2nd Montrose Guides and she was an inspiration to us younger girls especially when we went camping up Glen Esk . Part of growing up I never forgot. Her brother Bill was ages with me and one of the crowd who went to the YMCA. A lovely family.

Gwen Kenward I remember Corral and Bill ,,,, she was friendly with my cousin Norah Ley ,lovely looking girl ,,, so sorry !

Phyllis Paterson Kent Did she have a brother Bill?

Margaret Webb Yes Bill was her brother, but he died a few years ago. I remember Corral , a beautiful girl

Avril Morna Simpson Coral was in the class above me at school.

Joyce Davidson Moira Swailes...I too remember Corral well and her husband who worked in the bank. I too lived on Rosie Island and was a few years younger than her and Helen. I met Helen Pert in Arbroath recently. Her brother Brian is dead too.

Doug Baxter I spoke to Coral lately on Facebook as I was a Good Friend of Bill, was surprised she lived in Kibworth as we now live in Corby as well as Few others from Montrose so sorry to hear the Sad news.


The original Facebook post has received 196 reactions and 132 comments, of which this is a selection

Mark AP McIlmail Brilliant words, Kev. God bless to her and your family.
Sharon K. Arthur Peace to you and your family during this time of loss...will lift a glass to your mum 💔🥃💔
Becky Fawcett Lovely words from a loving son.
Declan Hill I didn't know your mum, but she raised a wonderful son
Mark Buckingham So sorry to hear your sad news that your Mum has passed away, Kev. Sending lots of love and sympathy. xx
Irma Page Sending you lots of love Kev. It doesn't matter how old you/they are: losing a parent is terribly hard xx
John Inglis I will most certainly be raising a glass for the braw lassie that was Catherine Corral Sutherland who will stay long in the memory 🥃
John Earwaker So sorry to hear of your loss Kev. My thoughts are with you and all the family. 💐🌠
Lynne McGregor  So sorry to hear this Kev, thoughts with you. She sounded like a great lady. When my mum died a couple of years ago I asked you if you were the 'KevF' who wrote the attached. We used it on my mum's Order of Service. I never found the actual author. Perhaps it might be of similar comfort at a sad time for you all.
Melanie Berman I'm so sorry to hear this awful news. I remember your mum as a lovely, welcoming woman, humorous, talented and kind. Much love to you and your family xxxx
Darren Hoskins Aaaaaw ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Lisa White Sorry to hear your sad news Kev. What a wonderful inspiring woman. Much love xx
Jim Wheelock Sad to hear. My condolence to you and your family, Kev.
Bennett Arron So sorry xx
Annette Tweed Lanckmans Sending love and hugs Kev and Jude xxx. Thinking of you all 😇
Al Pitcher Big ❤️ x x
Mike Collins So sorry to hear this Kev, love to the family
Lew Stringer I'm sorry for your loss, Kev. My condolences.
Steve Noble I love your Mum to bits Kev. She was a really inspirational woman.
Gillian Carole Tosley Nash Very sorry to hear about your mum Kev. Always hard at this time of year as I know. 💐💮🌹
Louisa Gummer I’m so so sorry Kev. Much love. ❤️❤️
Regie Rigby So very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and yours.
Helen Stead Sorry to hear this Kev. We’re both thinking of you. x
Charity Trimm Sorry to hear this news Kev. Sending you and the family lots of love xx
Barbara Turner Thinking of you all xxx
Paul James Sorry to hear your sad news Kev. Lovely photo, she looks the spit of you in it.
John Nichol All my love x
Gaynor Smith I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sure you will have happy memories as a comfort in the time ahead xx
Susan Murray Sorry to hear that Kev x
Sue Grant Sorry to hear the news Kev x
Tim Pilcher Deepest condolences to you, Kev, and your whole family. 😢❤️
Clive Greenwood I am so sorry for your loss Kev, my sincere condolences to you and your family.
Pete Renshaw My thoughts for your loss Kev.
Brad Shaw Sorry for your loss mate x
Simon Winkler Kev thoughts are with you. So sorry to hear the news. Much love. Simon and Tammy xxx
Tim Perkins So sorry to hear this, Kev. My deepest condolences.
Stuart Robinson Sorry to hear that Kev
Phil Baber Kev. Hev. Much condolences. Make all happys from your loss.I lost my mum in 2006. She'd never want me to be down about that. But she woulda wanted me to put the joy back into everyone I ever would meet. Siempre Avante!
Paul H Birch My condolences.
John Freeman Sorry for your loss, Kev. All the best at this difficult time.
Ian McRobert Condolences at this sad time, hugs all round.
Tim Read That's very sad. My condolences.
Jonathan Edwards Sorry to hear that, Kev. Love to all your family.
David Chapple I never met her, but she must have been amazing going by how you turned out. Condolences and lots of love and good wishes from us.
Simon Ward Sad news Kev. 
Happy new year to you and a raised glass to your Mother.
Vince Stadon I'm really sorry for your loss, my friend.
Stuart Mitchell Sorry to hear of your loss Kev, best to you and your family
Phill Taylor-Eardley We send our condolences Kev from the Taylor-Eardleys. Thinking of you at this hard time!
Nathaniel Tapley Sorry to hear that, Kev.
Davy Francis Sorry to hear your news Kev , she sounds like a real lady.I lost my Dad 3 months ago and think about him and miss him every day, which when you think about it; us as good a tribute as any. Thinking about you all.Davy
Ian Ellery Very best wishes Kev.
Fats Harvis Condolences to you and the family
Doug Segal Sorry for your loss Kev xxx
Simon Coleby I'm very sorry for your loss, Kev. My sincere condolences and all kind wishes to you and yours.
Remy Clarke Kev Sutherland and Jude Sutherland, really sorry to hear of your loss.
Let me know if there's anything I can help with.
Janet Eardley Sending lots of love your way from the Holland's. Thinking of you at this sad time. 💜xxx
Anita Bigsby Really sad to read this Kev. Lots of love to you and your family. 💜 Xxx
Roland Moore So sorry to hear this news Kev. We're thinking of you all and if there's anything we can do, please let us know. Rx
Gordon Southern Sorry for your loss mate. A beautiful obituary x


The Obituary has had 815 views on the blog already, here are some of the Facebook posts that followed

Vince Stadon That's very lovely. I hope Sean Connery enjoyed her sketches of him.
Kev Sutherland He was shaken but not... well, you can see where that was going.
Simonetta Carvell Omg Kev, I am so very sorry to hear about your mum. I will always remember her as such a happy lady and lovely to be around. But I have just read the summary of her life and wow!!! What an utterly amazing woman. I feel so privileged to have known your mum and dad. Xxxxx
John Inglis Brilliant Kev, the energy and talent your mum showed throughout her life was amazing- a very special lady.
Lara James (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))
Audrey Tweed Such a wonderful word picture of Corrals life, I can almost hear her laugh as she adds a little embellishment to each section. Lovely lady,lovely Corral.
Louisa Gummer That is such a beautiful piece of writing. ❤️
Peter Crocker What a lovely piece x
Sajeela Kershi Oh Kev I’m so so sorry for your loss! But by golly your mum sounds like she led a life and a half and reading this can see where your wonderful creativity comes from ❤️❤️❤️
Lucy Madison Lovely obit Kev xx
Pam Wells That was brilliant Kev. She was a dear friend and talented artist and led a wonderfully full life. I will miss her. I have a dvd of one of their legendary New Year’s Eve parties for you, showing her skill at tap dancing amongst her other talents. Lovely lady x
Heather Tweed A wonderful mother-in-law, friend and woman who lived a fabulous life and will be much missed. She wanted wanted everyone to be happy, continue enjoying life and to try not to be sad. 💐🌞💖
Jamie Neil An amazing woman of gale force energy and wonderful talent, and a mother to be rightly proud of x
Felicity Harper A lovely obituary. A very full life. And I can see her reflected in you, Kev.
Doug Adamson There is nothing more saddening than to read the obit of someone you never knew but wish you had met.
Thats a great obit of a life well lived.
Ian Pinkney really nice obit Kev, sorry to hear of your mum's passing, she clearly lived a full and fruitful life

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...