Wednesday 30 June 2021

Bart's Bottom - new comics by kids from Yorkshire to Windermere


This must be the furthest travelled between classes in one day: the morning session was in Windermere in the Lake District, and the afternoon session in South Bristol. The morning was, of course, virtual, and the afternoon session was in real life.


Threshfield in North Yorkshire was, however, a real life in-person visit, and the furthest I've driven for 18 months. A four and a half hour drive and an overnight stay, all paid for courtesy of the wonderful Grassington Festival, who'll be having me back again in a fortnight.


Boyle & Petyt Primary in Beamsley had the same number of pupils as yesterday's Threshfield, but instead of squeezing them into one class of 34, divided them up into two groups. Twice the comics, that's all good by me. The comics on this visit have been my favourites for ages. I find it much more stimulating to be creating the covers in the classroom. Somehow Zoom or virtual classes lass a little stimulus in that way, I guess cos the kids can't really see what I'm drawing as I draw it.


The celebrities these 6 groups (Thunder Chicken is from the class I did at Clevedon Literary Festival two weekends ago) chose to appear in my demonstration strip were George Washington, Thomas Brodie Sangster, Taylor Swift, Dwayne The Rock Johnson, Donald Trump, and Marshmello (a Youtuber, I'm told).



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who, and graphic novels adapted from Shakespeare, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and TwitterHe is the host of the podcast Comic Cuts The Panel Show






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...